Wednesday, October 28, 2009

It's About Damn Time

When I look at a car company and its products, I look at each product individually, and then judge it on its own merits.

I try to see how it stacks up against the competition and how it fits within a brand.

Which is why I'm so tired of the American media constantly bashing all American cars.

From the way they talk you'd think that GM, Ford, and Chrysler were building fuel sucking, unreliable pieces of junk that can barely crawl off the lot and were designed 70 years ago.

So I'm happy that Consumer Reports, high priest of reliability and self-proclaimed protector of the average buyer, has decreed that Ford is as good as Toyota or Honda.

I've been saying it for the last year and a half, but people didn't seem to believe me.

In fact, their V6 Ford Fusions, Mercury Milans, and Lincoln MKZs beat out the Toyota Camrys and Honda Accords with the same type of engine.

Unfortunately, GM went down in average quality. But their Chevrolet Malibu V6 was rated better than the Accord and Camry. Which is great for them, but they still need to bump up quality across the board.

And Chrysler?

They're almost at the bottom of the list. I'm hoping that they can get their act together quick and turn it around. I'm tired of seeing brands die.

For more in depth reading, Consumer Reports posted part of the article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment