Saturday, November 21, 2009

Mechanic Fail

The title says it all.

I have learned a very important thing. Between the hours of four and five in the morning, and after staying up for over 20 hours, one does not think properly.

The Die Hard battery is perfectly fine.

In all likelihood, so is the alternator. However, I'm still going to test it just to make sure.

As it turns out, there was just enough acid corrosion between the battery and the end of the battery cable. If I'd been in my right mind that night, I could've just cleaned it off and gone on down the road.

Instead I bought an $89 acid filled brick that I don't need.

There is a lesson here. Check the battery terminals something close to regularly. If there is a large amount of yellow/whitish fluff covering it, it needs to come off.

This is especially important if you have a side post GM style battery like mine. There's only one place for the corrosion to go: between the battery and the bolt.

As I discovered, that kills the connection and the current.

So, there's just one thing left. Anybody need a GM battery?

No comments:

Post a Comment